Monday, March 05, 2007

Putting Your (Health Comm) Money Where Your Mouth Is: Bangladesh's One Taka Coin



Greetings everyone, At today’s HCRG meeting I passed out one taka coins (the taka is the monetary unit in Bangladesh). I think these coins represent an excellent example of how a country is (literally) putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to a health communication campaign (overpopulation and hunger are still very real problems in Bangladesh -- and the visual and written message on the one taka coin is aimed at preventing both of these problems).

If you didn’t get a coin today, I have lots left (so feel free to stop by my office to get a couple). I’ve also included an image of the coin with this post in case you want to use it as an example in class, etc.. Note: The slogan on the coin reads: Planned Family – Food For All.Hope you find this as interesting as I do. Cordially, Tony Roberto

2 comments:

Michael S said...

dunno...if they want to make the case that people with small families eat better, they should have made the silhouettes chubbier!

Nori Comello said...

Thanks for the coins, Tony. I showed one to Jatin, and he told me that in India, it's also common to see health msgs on currency. Way to disseminate!